07 March, 2010

People 2

So I mentioned that I've been riding the Red Line to get to rehearsal in Hollywood, and it's been working out really well. In addition to saving me the headache of driving in rush hour traffic, it allows me to people watch. There's no shortage of interesting people to observe on an LA subway, believe me.

There are the locals, many of whom are -- well, let's just call them colorful. Some are pretty interesting people. There are buskers, musicians who play in the subway stations for spare change. There are people getting to and from work. There are thuggish-looking dudes, some of whom mind their own business, and others who look like they're looking for trouble. They're the ones who blatantly break the ridership rules by putting their shoes on the seats or playing music loud enough to be heard over the noise of the rails. And then there are the crazies who are clearly in need of some mental health care. Many of them are homeless, or at least look like they are. Having worked in a hospital for almost seven years, I recognize their behavior as similar to the patients I used to encounter in the psych ward.

But there are also the tourists...more on them next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment