30 December, 2008

My first blog

Hello, internet!

Ok, that was kind of lame. But then, I'm not a journalist. This happens to be (George Carlin hated that phrase) my first blog. I never felt compelled to write one before because I couldn't think of anything to write about that others might care to read. But I finally came up with something I feel passionate enough to spend time writing about...trains.

See, I'm a big train fan. I've ridden light rail, subways, commuter trains and high-speed trains, and I love them all. I've ridden trains in cities all around the world. And by all around the world, I mean several destinations in Italy, and Los Angeles, my home...and the Las Vegas Monorail, but I'm pretty sure that doesn't count.

Which brings me to the reason I created this blog.

It boggles my mind why we don't have a more thorough light rail and subway system. LA is a world-class city in many other respects; we have music, theater, fine arts, sports, great weather, and we're one of the top tourist destinations in the world. We even have a winery in the middle of the city. So I how is it that in the second largest city in the United States I can't take a train, say, to a baseball stadium or to the airport? I think what we have is a great start, but we need more...a lot more.

So the purpose of my blog is to be a place for me to write what I think of riding the rails in LA, as well as my ideas for what we're lacking. And I welcome comments and suggestions, too, especially from residents of other large cities that might have more, better, or just different rail transit solutions: what works, what doesn't, and why.

No comments:

Post a Comment